Friday, October 5, 2007

My Favorite Time of the Year


Fall has forever been my favorite time of the year. Where I live, its a very short time of the year. It seems that the leaves fall and then so does the snow.


When I was a young girl Fall meant that I could wear my new cold weather clothes to school, I rarely waited for the cooler weather though. It meant homecoming and football. It meant the smell of apple pie, hot cider, and though most people won't know what this is, it meant Lefse.


Through my twenties Fall held no real traditions for me. I, in a way, forgot about tradition. Once in awhile I would get homesick and think of something that my mom did that no one, in my opinion, could do better. I loved the smell of wassail, a cider cinnamon drink. I loved having lefse with our holiday dinners. Oh, and my mom's homemade buns! Yum-o! But its hard to start those traditions for one.


Its funny how when you get married and start a family, some traditions start themselves and some, you discover, you have always wanted to start.


For my family, Fall means hunting, harvest from our garden, changing of decoration shopping for warm clothes, baking, canning, making deer jerky and deer burger, fall cleaning. I guess I could keep going...but I won't.


I guess its when I feel like our house becomes warm and cozy. I can't wait for the first fire in our fireplace!


My sister is inspiring me in making my house "a home". Here is the first of my Fall decorations. I am kind of proud of this.....I am 38 and never really did any of this before.
Have a happy Fall~


3 comments:

Mindy said...

Hey Lisa, I love your fall decoration. I need something like that too I think. Send me some pics of your house and new furniture and such, I would love to see! Have a great day and I love you! -Mindy

Robin said...

Wow Lisa - that is gorgeous! You should do more of it - you are obviously good at it! And I love tradition too - old ones and new ones.

Andrea said...

I love that wreath thingy. Okay okay, so I am not my mom. I don't know what it is called but it is pretty. How is the baby doing? Are you coming for Christmas?